This course provides an opportunity for students to learn the core concepts of chemistry and understand how those concepts apply to their lives and the world around them, meeting the scope and sequence of most general chemistry courses. Topics include stoichiometry, thermodynamics, and nuclear chemistry. This course is designed to be taught over a series of two semesters. This course, based on OpenStax Chemistry, is supplemented by faculty resources developed by Jessica Garber-Morales of Tidewater Community College and Shawn Shields of Germanna Community College.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science insights to engage students and better support the learning process. Content includes text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge and improve their understanding. Lumen’s online homework system, OHM, provides frequent practice, machine grading, and immediate feedback to help students learn and master math and other quantitative subjects.
CHEM 105/106 General Chemistry I/II is available as an OHM course.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Online Homework Manager (OHM): A flexible, user-friendly math homework system with customizable learning content, assessments, and activities you can tailor to fit your needs. Request an OHM instructor account.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course may be delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
IMPROVING AFFORDABILITY AND STUDENT SUCCESS
HOW TO ADOPT AN OER COURSE
- Review course materials: Click on the button “Review Course Content and Outcomes” above to view the content in Canvas.
- Approval: Discuss and receive approval from your Program Chair.
- Adopt Appropriate Banner Designation: Contact your campus course builder to add one of the following:
- A) OMSF, Open Material Selection Fee: $15 OER materials (Candela)
- B) OMCF, Open Material Course Fee: $15 OER course package (Candela + course)
- C) OMPF, Open Materials Platform Fee: $30 OER platform package (Waymaker or OHM only)
- D) OMPC (Open Materials Platform Course): $30 OER platform (Waymaker + course)
OER COURSES FOR IVY TECH
Ivy Tech has partnered with Lumen Learning to design courses using open educational resources (OER) that improve learning and replace expensive textbooks in high-enrollment subjects. With a cost of just $15-$30 per enrolled student, these courses often surprise faculty members by their combination of quality, ease of adoption, and affordability. This fee guarantees day one access to course content for students. It also funds Ivy Tech’s future OER development and the technical support and OER expertise provided by Lumen.
Ivy Tech’s OER initiative is lead by an OER Cross Discipline Team made up of program chairs, department chairs and deans from across the College. It was formed in 2016 to prioritize courses for the transition to OER, and to oversee quality in the course development process. Ivy Tech partners with leading OER provider Lumen Learning to support content curation, creation, and delivery of OER content.
- Ready-to-Adopt: Lumen provides easy-to-customize course materials that work seamlessly inside Canvas and have the supplemental resources that open content doesn’t always have, like quiz banks, PowerPoints, assignments, and automatic grading, saving you time. Many courses include a pacing guide, to assist in adjusting term length.
- Affordable: We work with institutions to consider payment options that best support their goals for access, affordability, and student success. We offer multiple options that fit easily into existing administrative and funding processes and the price ranges from $15-$30 per student, per course.
- Student Engagement: Lumen courseware includes interactive simulations, practice questions, online homework, personalized learning tools, and other learning activities to engage students and help them become better learners.