This course is designed to be used as a corequisite solution or as a traditional College Algebra course with plenty of additional support for those students struggling with prerequisite skills. Each module begins with a “Review Topics for Success” section in which critical topics from the developmental algebra series are examined. Additionally, just-in-time review of developmental math concepts appear throughout the text to help those students who need further learning support. The course includes embedded algorithmically generated practice questions, worked-example videos, interactive pathway activities, and a complete set of outcome aligned online assessments through Lumen OHM.
This course was developed by Lumen Learning and Deborah Devlin of Frostburg State University in Maryland. Primary source materials for this course include the OpenStax textbooks, College Algebra and Precalculus by Jay Abramson, et al., Developmental Math an Open Program by Monterey Institute of Technology and Education, and mathispower4u.com tutorials by James Sousa.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science insights to engage students and better support the learning process. Content includes text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge and improve their understanding. Lumen’s online homework system, OHM, provides frequent practice, machine grading, and immediate feedback to help students learn and master math and other quantitative subjects.
College Algebra: Lumen Learning is available as an OHM course.
What People Are Saying
“OHM is fantastic for providing students with immediate feedback and remediation. It has helped my students improve their precision in answers.” – Royce Shelley, Salt Lake Community College
“Since using OHM, my students have a better understanding of the course topics.” – Bethzabeth Berrios, SUNY Rockland
“Since using OHM, I have achieved greater efficiency in giving feedback to students. OHM helps me to quickly let students know how well they are progressing through the course.” – Noel Whelchel, Atlanta Metropolitan State College
“Since using OHM, I have been able to hold students accountable for their homework. It is extremely comprehensive for the students and it saves me an immense amount of time.” – Mac Psachie, Hunter College CUNY
“OHM has greatly reduced the cost of an online homework program for our students.” – Jim Smart, Tallahassee Community College
IMPROVING AFFORDABILITY AND STUDENT SUCCESS
HOW TO ADOPT AN OER COURSE
- Review course materials: Click on the button “Review Course Content and Outcomes” above to view the content in Canvas.
- Approval: Discuss and receive approval from your Program Chair.
- Adopt Appropriate Banner Designation: Contact your campus course builder to add one of the following:
- A) OMSF, Open Material Selection Fee: $15 OER materials (Candela)
- B) OMCF, Open Material Course Fee: $15 OER course package (Candela + course)
- C) OMPF, Open Materials Platform Fee: $30 OER platform package (Waymaker or OHM only)
- D) OMPC (Open Materials Platform Course): $30 OER platform (Waymaker + course)
OER COURSES FOR IVY TECH
Ivy Tech has partnered with Lumen Learning to design courses using open educational resources (OER) that improve learning and replace expensive textbooks in high-enrollment subjects. With a cost of just $15-$30 per enrolled student, these courses often surprise faculty members by their combination of quality, ease of adoption, and affordability. This fee guarantees day one access to course content for students. It also funds Ivy Tech’s future OER development and the technical support and OER expertise provided by Lumen.
Ivy Tech’s OER initiative is lead by an OER Cross Discipline Team made up of program chairs, department chairs and deans from across the College. It was formed in 2016 to prioritize courses for the transition to OER, and to oversee quality in the course development process. Ivy Tech partners with leading OER provider Lumen Learning to support content curation, creation, and delivery of OER content.
- Ready-to-Adopt: Lumen provides easy-to-customize course materials that work seamlessly inside Canvas and have the supplemental resources that open content doesn’t always have, like quiz banks, PowerPoints, assignments, and automatic grading, saving you time. Many courses include a pacing guide, to assist in adjusting term length.
- Affordable: We work with institutions to consider payment options that best support their goals for access, affordability, and student success. We offer multiple options that fit easily into existing administrative and funding processes and the price ranges from $15-$30 per student, per course.
- Student Engagement: Lumen courseware includes interactive simulations, practice questions, online homework, personalized learning tools, and other learning activities to engage students and help them become better learners.