This course provides an interactive exploration of College Algebra topics, laying a firm groundwork for success in subsequent math courses. With Desmos interactives as well as embedded algorithmically generated practice, the text is a great resource for active learning in and out of the classroom.
Content coverage includes a review of algebra essentials; polynomial and rational expressions; solving and graphing various types of equations; different types of functions and algebraic operations on functions (linear, absolute value, quadratic, power, polynomial, rational, radical, exponential, and logarithmic functions); exponential and logarithmic equations and models; systems of equations and inequalities; solving systems with matrices; conic sections; sequences and series; and probability and counting principles. This course offers a complete set of resources including editable e-text with embedded videos, practice, and Desmos interactives, worksheets, online assessments, and powerpoint slides.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science insights to engage students and better support the learning process. Content includes text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge and improve their understanding. Lumen’s online homework system, OHM, provides frequent practice, machine grading, and immediate feedback to help students learn and master math and other quantitative subjects.
Contact your Program Chair to let them know that you’re interested in adopting the course, and to confirm the appropriate Banner Designation: OMPC.
MATH136 College Algebra is available as an OHM course.
IMPROVING AFFORDABILITY AND STUDENT SUCCESS
HOW TO ADOPT AN OER COURSE
- Review course materials: Click on the button “Review Course Content and Outcomes” above to view the content in Canvas.
- Approval: Discuss and receive approval from your Program Chair.
- Adopt Appropriate Banner Designation: Contact your campus course builder to add one of the following:
- A) OMSF, Open Material Selection Fee: $15 OER materials (Candela)
- B) OMCF, Open Material Course Fee: $15 OER course package (Candela + course)
- C) OMPF, Open Materials Platform Fee: $30 OER platform package (Waymaker or OHM only)
- D) OMPC (Open Materials Platform Course): $30 OER platform (Waymaker + course)
OER COURSES FOR IVY TECH
Ivy Tech has partnered with Lumen Learning to design courses using open educational resources (OER) that improve learning and replace expensive textbooks in high-enrollment subjects. With a cost of just $15-$30 per enrolled student, these courses often surprise faculty members by their combination of quality, ease of adoption, and affordability. This fee guarantees day one access to course content for students. It also funds Ivy Tech’s future OER development and the technical support and OER expertise provided by Lumen.
Ivy Tech’s OER initiative is lead by an OER Cross Discipline Team made up of program chairs, department chairs and deans from across the College. It was formed in 2016 to prioritize courses for the transition to OER, and to oversee quality in the course development process. Ivy Tech partners with leading OER provider Lumen Learning to support content curation, creation, and delivery of OER content.
- Ready-to-Adopt: Lumen provides easy-to-customize course materials that work seamlessly inside Canvas and have the supplemental resources that open content doesn’t always have, like quiz banks, PowerPoints, assignments, and automatic grading, saving you time. Many courses include a pacing guide, to assist in adjusting term length.
- Affordable: We work with institutions to consider payment options that best support their goals for access, affordability, and student success. We offer multiple options that fit easily into existing administrative and funding processes and the price ranges from $15-$30 per student, per course.
- Student Engagement: Lumen courseware includes interactive simulations, practice questions, online homework, personalized learning tools, and other learning activities to engage students and help them become better learners.