This BUSN101 Introduction to Business course develops students’ understanding of business fundamentals with learning design structured around timely, real-world case studies and examples. Key topics include the role of business, the global economic and legal environment, ethics, marketing, accounting and finance, and managing processes and operations. Enriched OER content (text, video, simulations, etc.) orients students to the shifting business landscape and prepares them for success in business program curriculum and the workplace.
This new edition of Waymaker BUSN101 Introduction to Business includes improvements and enhancements. We have fully revised Module 8: Entrepreneurship and added a new module, Module 17: Using Technology to Manage Business Information. These improved and new modules both include practice opportunities for students to enrich their learning.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science to engage students and better support the learning process. Lumen materials aim to deliver an active learning experience. They include text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, simulations, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge, improve their understanding, and perform better. Term over term, Lumen’s Waymaker courseware makes it possible to use learning data to identify where content improvements are needed. We work collaboratively with faculty and subject matter experts to develop and test iterative, continuous improvements aimed at increasing efficacy and learning.
Contact your Program Chair to let them know that you’re interested in adopting the course, and to confirm the appropriate Banner Designation: OMPF.
BUSN101 Introduction to Business is available as a Waymaker course.
- Waymaker: User-friendly digital courseware with data-driven learning design, personalization, and messaging tools that can increase student engagement, persistence, and passing rates.
This course was written by Linda Williams (Tidewater Community College) and Lumen Learning, with contributions from Nina Burokas (Mendocino College, Saddleback College) and Robert Danielson (Saint Mary’s College of California), and is supplemented by content from OpenStax Principles of Economics, Boundless Business, and videos from multiple sources. Additional contributions were created by Tina Lance at Germanna Community College, Wendy Wright at Cerritos College, Betty Fitte at Tidewater Community College, Bob Carroll & Andrea Foster at Montgomery Community College, and Charlene Barker at Spokane Falls Community College.
What People Are Saying
Faculty Roundtable: Waymaker Introduction to Business
View this faculty roundtable recording to hear about other teachers’ experiences using these course materials. This session features Professor Linda Williams of Tidewater Community College.
IMPROVING AFFORDABILITY AND STUDENT SUCCESS
HOW TO ADOPT AN OER COURSE
- Review course materials: Click on the button “Review Course Content and Outcomes” above to view the content in Canvas.
- Approval: Discuss and receive approval from your Program Chair.
- Adopt Appropriate Banner Designation: Contact your campus course builder to add one of the following:
- A) OMSF, Open Material Selection Fee: $15 OER materials (Candela)
- B) OMCF, Open Material Course Fee: $15 OER course package (Candela + course)
- C) OMPF, Open Materials Platform Fee: $30 OER platform package (Waymaker or OHM only)
- D) OMPC (Open Materials Platform Course): $30 OER platform (Waymaker + course)
OER COURSES FOR IVY TECH
Ivy Tech has partnered with Lumen Learning to design courses using open educational resources (OER) that improve learning and replace expensive textbooks in high-enrollment subjects. With a cost of just $15-$30 per enrolled student, these courses often surprise faculty members by their combination of quality, ease of adoption, and affordability. This fee guarantees day one access to course content for students. It also funds Ivy Tech’s future OER development and the technical support and OER expertise provided by Lumen.
Ivy Tech’s OER initiative is lead by an OER Cross Discipline Team made up of program chairs, department chairs and deans from across the College. It was formed in 2016 to prioritize courses for the transition to OER, and to oversee quality in the course development process. Ivy Tech partners with leading OER provider Lumen Learning to support content curation, creation, and delivery of OER content.
- Ready-to-Adopt: Lumen provides easy-to-customize course materials that work seamlessly inside Canvas and have the supplemental resources that open content doesn’t always have, like quiz banks, PowerPoints, assignments, and automatic grading, saving you time. Many courses include a pacing guide, to assist in adjusting term length.
- Affordable: We work with institutions to consider payment options that best support their goals for access, affordability, and student success. We offer multiple options that fit easily into existing administrative and funding processes and the price ranges from $15-$30 per student, per course.
- Student Engagement: Lumen courseware includes interactive simulations, practice questions, online homework, personalized learning tools, and other learning activities to engage students and help them become better learners.