Regardless of setting, there is value in practicing effective management principles. This course teaches students how to think as managers and actively manage organizations and teams using effective practices around planning, decision making, organizational structure, culture, leadership, motivation, and communication. The course begins by addressing foundational management principles, including primary functions of managers, types of management, and types of strategy, and develops toward addressing more complex topics such as ethics, control, and global business management.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science to engage students and better support the learning process. Lumen materials aim to deliver an active learning experience. They include text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, simulations, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge, improve their understanding, and perform better. Term over term, Lumen’s Waymaker courseware makes it possible to use learning data to identify where content improvements are needed. We work collaboratively with faculty and subject matter experts to develop and test iterative, continuous improvements aimed at increasing efficacy and learning.
Contact your Program Chair to let them know that you’re interested in adopting the course, and to confirm the appropriate Banner Designation: OMPC.
BUSN 105 Principles of Management is available as a Waymaker course.
- Waymaker: User-friendly digital courseware with data-driven learning design, personalization, and messaging tools that can increase student engagement, persistence, and passing rates.
This course was developed by Sarah Shepler, Program Chair, Ivy Tech Community College, Terre Haute.
The Lumen content was created in collaboration with John Bruton, Ph.D., retired professor of management/department chair, Cal State Northridge; Linda Bruton, retired from McGraw Hill; Jeff Heflin, director of finance at Asurion; Talia Lambarki, MBA; Lisa Jo Rudy, educational writer and consultant; Aaron Spencer, curriculum developer; David J. Thompson, Ph.D., professor at Ohio State University; and Robert Carroll, professor at Montgomery College.
What People Are Saying
“Lumen Waymaker gives instructors flexibility to customize a course and utilize a wide variety of assessments, including cases, simulations, self-graded exercises, and discussion boards. Students are able to work toward smaller goals through self-check points to ensure they are spending enough time on concepts they haven’t yet mastered and less time on those they have. The product is as robust as other nationally recognized publisher content and platforms, but much more customizable and at a cost students can afford.”
Sarah Shepler, Program Chair, Terre Haute
IMPROVING AFFORDABILITY AND STUDENT SUCCESS
HOW TO ADOPT AN OER COURSE
- Review course materials: Click on the button “Review Course Content and Outcomes” above to view the content in Canvas.
- Approval: Discuss and receive approval from your Program Chair.
- Adopt Appropriate Banner Designation: Contact your campus course builder to add one of the following:
- A) OMSF, Open Material Selection Fee: $15 OER materials (Candela)
- B) OMCF, Open Material Course Fee: $15 OER course package (Candela + course)
- C) OMPF, Open Materials Platform Fee: $30 OER platform package (Waymaker or OHM only)
- D) OMPC (Open Materials Platform Course): $30 OER platform (Waymaker + course)
OER COURSES FOR IVY TECH
Ivy Tech has partnered with Lumen Learning to design courses using open educational resources (OER) that improve learning and replace expensive textbooks in high-enrollment subjects. With a cost of just $15-$30 per enrolled student, these courses often surprise faculty members by their combination of quality, ease of adoption, and affordability. This fee guarantees day one access to course content for students. It also funds Ivy Tech’s future OER development and the technical support and OER expertise provided by Lumen.
Ivy Tech’s OER initiative is lead by an OER Cross Discipline Team made up of program chairs, department chairs and deans from across the College. It was formed in 2016 to prioritize courses for the transition to OER, and to oversee quality in the course development process. Ivy Tech partners with leading OER provider Lumen Learning to support content curation, creation, and delivery of OER content.
- Ready-to-Adopt: Lumen provides easy-to-customize course materials that work seamlessly inside Canvas and have the supplemental resources that open content doesn’t always have, like quiz banks, PowerPoints, assignments, and automatic grading, saving you time. Many courses include a pacing guide, to assist in adjusting term length.
- Affordable: We work with institutions to consider payment options that best support their goals for access, affordability, and student success. We offer multiple options that fit easily into existing administrative and funding processes and the price ranges from $15-$30 per student, per course.
- Student Engagement: Lumen courseware includes interactive simulations, practice questions, online homework, personalized learning tools, and other learning activities to engage students and help them become better learners.