What does it mean to be informed? To know our history? This course encourages students to develop a critical understanding of the history of our nation. HIST 102 Survey of American History II covers the chronological history of the United States from Reconstruction through the beginning of the twenty-first century and introduces key forces and major developments that together form the US experience, providing a balanced approach that considers the people, events, and ideas that have shaped the United States from both the top down (politics, economics, diplomacy) and bottom up (eyewitness accounts, lived experience), with particular attention paid to issues of race, class, and gender.
Contact your Program Chair to let them know that you’re interested in adopting the course, and to confirm the appropriate Banner Designation: OMSF.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
This course was developed using the HIST102 Survey of American History II text with the inclusion of a primary source reader from American Yawp. The course also includes additional videos, images, and enhancements, as well as a quiz bank provided by Lumen Learning. Assignments were contributed by Thomas deMayo and Chris Thomas from Reynolds Community College.
IMPROVING AFFORDABILITY AND STUDENT SUCCESS
HOW TO ADOPT AN OER COURSE
- Review course materials: Click on the button “Review Course Content and Outcomes” above to view the content in Canvas.
- Approval: Discuss and receive approval from your Program Chair.
- Adopt Appropriate Banner Designation: Contact your campus course builder to add one of the following:
- A) OMSF, Open Material Selection Fee: $15 OER materials (Candela)
- B) OMCF, Open Material Course Fee: $15 OER course package (Candela + course)
- C) OMPF, Open Materials Platform Fee: $30 OER platform package (Waymaker or OHM only)
- D) OMPC (Open Materials Platform Course): $30 OER platform (Waymaker + course)
OER COURSES FOR IVY TECH
Ivy Tech has partnered with Lumen Learning to design courses using open educational resources (OER) that improve learning and replace expensive textbooks in high-enrollment subjects. With a cost of just $15-$30 per enrolled student, these courses often surprise faculty members by their combination of quality, ease of adoption, and affordability. This fee guarantees day one access to course content for students. It also funds Ivy Tech’s future OER development and the technical support and OER expertise provided by Lumen.
Ivy Tech’s OER initiative is lead by an OER Cross Discipline Team made up of program chairs, department chairs and deans from across the College. It was formed in 2016 to prioritize courses for the transition to OER, and to oversee quality in the course development process. Ivy Tech partners with leading OER provider Lumen Learning to support content curation, creation, and delivery of OER content.
- Ready-to-Adopt: Lumen provides easy-to-customize course materials that work seamlessly inside Canvas and have the supplemental resources that open content doesn’t always have, like quiz banks, PowerPoints, assignments, and automatic grading, saving you time. Many courses include a pacing guide, to assist in adjusting term length.
- Affordable: We work with institutions to consider payment options that best support their goals for access, affordability, and student success. We offer multiple options that fit easily into existing administrative and funding processes and the price ranges from $15-$30 per student, per course.
- Student Engagement: Lumen courseware includes interactive simulations, practice questions, online homework, personalized learning tools, and other learning activities to engage students and help them become better learners.